Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Mid September I - Painting

Dwight, probably thinking, "Stupid Washington houses!"

Fred did actually dare to get on these ladders :)

Loren thinking, "She'll take my bid next time!"




Here's what I've been doing all summer. Well, half of the summer, really. We waited until after Uncle Alvern's left. The 2nd year here we noticed our 30-yr. paint had faded terribly & all the windows were peeling. The 3rd year the paint co. came out and agreed to replace all the paint - just not the labor :)! It was too late to get started. So, this was the summer! Fred Hanko painted all the high parts and Loren VDT came and flashed all the siding since all the caulk had failed too. Dwight is chipping in also - this week he will spray one whole side that has only four windows. He also plugged the holes where the woodpeckers got into our attic. I don't like woodpeckers much anymore! Loren re-caulked all the windows and made our day by showing us that the sider had trimmed them very badly which was why they peeled every year even after I recaulked them (I have painted some windows three times already). In some spots the gaps were way over 1/4 inch thick, even where sides met tops; I was very crabby, but we stuffed backer rod in and hopefully it will hold up now. It's been a real pain in the rear. Right now the high stuff is all done and I have first coat on all the low stuff. Pretty sure it won't get done bf winter. Here are a few "fun" pics to show you how much the house faded!

No comments: